Tuesday 16 September 2008

Delicious. Healthy. Honest?


myfoodforyou.co.uk - A REVIEW

Coming out of the station today I was handed a flyer for "London's revolutionary new food service - foodfor you.co.uk"

The concept is simple, a weeks worth of home-cooked meals delivered to your door for just £25.

The insight is even simpler "Arriving home after a long day at the office and a few minutes later tucking into a delicious home cooked meal thats not just delicious, but seriously healthy".

I'm a huge fan of cooking, but even for me there are weeks where I get in late, the fridge is bare or I simply dont have the energy to make a full meal.


So where's the catch?

At first glance the word frozen jumps off the page but having worked in foods manufacturing I can vouch for the fact that frozen food locks in freshness and flavour than a home-cooked meal that has gone through 6 hours transit ever will.

Next I looked at the price...£25, that's a little pricy isn't it? Actually...probably not. Considering the target market, £5 for a meal probably seems good value.

Plus, when you factor in that even when I do go to Sainsbury's with a clear list for ingredients, I inevitbaly walk out having spent twice what I planned for...could this be the way to steer clear of BOGOF temptation?

Good marks so far.


Saving the world

It seems almost impossible for a business not to have an eco stance or a way of saving the world and as a result they can get lost in the wind.

However Lina Forsberg - MD, Chef and also attractive I probably shoudlnt say - introduces what seem like genuine personal morals. All ingredients & packaging is ethically sourced, the concept is getting Londoners to eat healthy and if that wasn't enough then, for no obvious reason other than she simply cares, 10% of all profits are given to a cause in Ethiopia.

The idealist in me is a little upset that this seems to symbolise a defeatest outlook for the future of home-cooking. Personally, as a wannabe Jamie Oliver, this has encouraged me to cook more, having realised that I've let my hobby stutter. However for the masses this could unfortunately be a perfect excuse to avoid ever knowing your bouillon from your butter.

Pulling myself back to reality though, would I rather see my friends, who simply wont cook/cant cook, eating a McDonalds or a fresh Pork Fillet in Apricot sauce ....the latter every time.


So is it food glorious food?

The menu looks good & changes weekly but until I've tried it out I can't fairly say whether its a good feed.

However my review isn't completely rosy. There are some obvious questions which I'm sure Lina has accounted for.

  1. If the menu is fixed, what about the fussy eaters in the world? - Lina's answered that already - "We offer two alternative meals each week that you can select in place of the meals on the menu."
  2. Vegetarians?
  3. Is it targetted solely at singletons living alone - why no group buy discount to capture the hords of us living with friends.
  4. HOW BIG ARE THE PORTIONS???
  5. What percentage of city firms provide free meals to employees working late already?
  6. Does this have mass appeal or is it too niche to survive - expansion at the moment would rely on geography, party platters etc. but at the moment it's too early to tell.
Although it's probably not for me, I'll give it a try and wish Lina all the best with it in the future. If you can pull my Lawyer housemate away from the Fish & Chip shop every now and then it cant be a bad thing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm a city solicitor who has tried MyFoodForYou. The food is great and with delivery straight to your door, it's the perfect service for busy people who a healthy lifestyle. My boyfriend is a busy barrister who also welcomes a home-cooked meal being so easily accessible. If your friends are coming over, best to stock up with lots of options in the freezer!